Dental implants are surgically placed devices made of titanium that act as anchors to support artificial teeth. They effectively replace the root and work as a substitute for missing natural teeth or teeth.
Implants can be used for any kind of prosthetic restoration, although they’re generally preferred in cases where there aren’t enough adjacent teeth to hold a bridge.
Dental implant surgery has become one of the most common procedures in dentistry due to its superior results over other types of restorations, like bridges or removable dentures.
Anatomy and Physiology of the Oral Cavity (Mouth)
The teeth are embedded in an alveolar bone structure, which has soft tissue coating all around. The top of the structure is formed by the gingiva, commonly known as gum tissue. There are three types of teeth:
For an implant to be successful, it must support a load that is equal to or bigger than what’s required for natural teeth.
Is Dental Implant Worth Investing?
There are many advantages to investing in dental implants, but there are also some disadvantages. This article will highlight both aspects so you can make an informed decision if this is the right choice for you.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Here are some of the main advantages to dental implants:
- Natural appearance – Implant-supported crowns look like your natural teeth. That makes any dental work blend in with the rest of your mouth.
- Prevents bone loss – Because implants support a prosthetic tooth or bridge, they help maintain and stimulate the jawbone and prevent it from deteriorating over time.
- Durable for years – Dental implants have a long lifespan, about 10 times longer than a single tooth.
- Aesthetic crowns – If you do not need a tooth replaced, but just want a set of fake teeth so your smile looks nice, you can opt for implant-supported dental crowns instead.
Dental Implants Disadvantages
Here are some of the main disadvantages to dental implants:
- The procedure is expensive – Dental implant surgery costs about $3000 on average. However, there are ways you can reduce this cost if you shop around for a good dental clinic.
Ask A Professional Dental Expert For Advice
Obesity is a major health concern in the U.S. and around the world, and one of the leading risk factors for disease and death. There are many ways to try and combat obesity: surgery, medicine, exercise programs, nutritional guidelines, etc. A lesser-known method is by using weight loss supplements. These can include appetite suppressants, stimulants, or thermogenesis.
Weight loss supplements have been around for decades, with some being used for weight loss off-label (meaning its use hasn’t been approved by the FDA). Before taking any weight loss supplements, it is recommended to consult a physician.
There are many types of weight loss supplements; below are some examples.
Nitric oxide supplements are a type of weight loss supplement that can be beneficial to those with poor blood flow, such as diabetics. By taking nitric oxide supplements it allows more oxygenated blood to flow through the body. Ingesting nitric oxide supplements is not only used for weight loss but also for erectile dysfunction and heart conditions. However, some studies have found that nitric oxide supplements do not seem to be very effective and carry a lot of risks.